Clarke leads influx of new Orient arrivals as Slade strengthens squad
It’s been a good week for the O’s
Orient manager Russell Slade has completed the signing of former Huddersfield Town defender Nathan Clarke – as his plans for the new season went into over-drive.
On Monday the O’s boss had just 16 players in a threadbare-looking squad before he captured striker Ryan Brunt and goalkeeper Ryan Allsop.
Then, today, the O’s chief signed 28-year-old defender Clarke on a two-year contract – and another signing is imminent.
Clarke, who has spent the last 11 years at Huddersfield Town played over 300 games for the Terriers and could be a contender to lead the Orient side.
A delighted Slade said: “We have been chasing Nathan for most of the close season and we’re delighted to have landed him.
“A lot of clubs were interested and we had to be patient and that patience has paid off.”
- 1 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 2 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 3 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 4 Manor Park blaze caused by the 'accidental ignition of textiles'
- 5 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 6 Woman injured after being hit by electric scooter in East Ham
- 7 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 8 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 9 Manor Park blaze: 100 firefighters get tower block fire under control
- 10 Masked driver found guilty of Ilford murder jailed for 35 years
With Clarke, Scott Cuthbert, Mathieu Baudry and Ben Chorley in contention for two places at the heart of the defence, the O’s boss is determined to tighten things up at the back.
“We conceded 77 goals last year – that was the most I’ve ever conceded and we needed to do some work on that,” said Slade.