City Airport named ‘National Responsible Business Champion’
- Credit: Archant
The UK’s “leading business airport” has had its community achievements recognised by a group of MPs with a prestigious business award.
The All-Party Parliamentary Corporate Responsibility Group (APCRG) named London City Airport (LCY) as its inaugural National Responsible Business Champion last week.
Nominated by East Ham MP Stephen Timms, the airport was chosen by a Parliamentary judging panel, beating the likes of Marks & Spencer.
“We are delighted to have won this prestigious award,” said Declan Collier, the airport’s chief executive.
“Creating opportunities for our community is in our DNA and we hope to do even more to help young people reach their potential and to create opportunities to improve their future.”
Work is under way to expand the airport’s Western Pier by 84per cent, providing space for new outlets plus an extra 600 seats, but it was the community engagement that caught the eye of the judges.
“It was described by Stephen Timms, a former corporate responsibility minister, as an exemplar of corporate responsibility,” said House of Commons speaker John Bercow.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 3 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 6 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 7 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 8 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing
- 9 Sixth form rated Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted
- 10 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
“He cited its investment in the local community; its commitment to providing pathways into work for unemployed residents; its work with schools and universities; and its work with West Ham United Football Club to promote healthy lifestyles, among other issues.”