City Airport named ‘National Responsible Business Champion’
- Credit: Archant
The UK’s “leading business airport” has had its community achievements recognised by a group of MPs with a prestigious business award.
The All-Party Parliamentary Corporate Responsibility Group (APCRG) named London City Airport (LCY) as its inaugural National Responsible Business Champion last week.
Nominated by East Ham MP Stephen Timms, the airport was chosen by a Parliamentary judging panel, beating the likes of Marks & Spencer.
“We are delighted to have won this prestigious award,” said Declan Collier, the airport’s chief executive.
“Creating opportunities for our community is in our DNA and we hope to do even more to help young people reach their potential and to create opportunities to improve their future.”
You may also want to watch:
Work is under way to expand the airport’s Western Pier by 84per cent, providing space for new outlets plus an extra 600 seats, but it was the community engagement that caught the eye of the judges.
“It was described by Stephen Timms, a former corporate responsibility minister, as an exemplar of corporate responsibility,” said House of Commons speaker John Bercow.
- 1 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 2 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 CCTV image released after rape reported in Forest Gate
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
“He cited its investment in the local community; its commitment to providing pathways into work for unemployed residents; its work with schools and universities; and its work with West Ham United Football Club to promote healthy lifestyles, among other issues.”