Church’s appeal to build �1.75m community hall
West Ham Parish Church is appealing for help in raising �1.75 million to complete a building and restoration project.
All Saints in Church Street needs the funds to construct a community hall on the site of its old vestries, which were demolished nine years ago, and for the refurbishment of its kitchen and bridal porch.
The Rev Stennett Kirby, vicar of All Saints, said: “We are keen to provide extra space in this area for community groups to meet.
“We have had many enquiries over the years from local groups like tenants’ and residents’ associations and people wanting to set up mums’ and toddlers’ groups and other activities.
“We also need space for our own young people to get together, for our choir and other potential groups within the church to meet and socialise.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Kirby said the fence compound at the south-west corner of the church, which contains the foundations of the new building, had become an eyesore for local people and businesses preparing for the Olympics, and it was time to get on with the work.
“One and three-quarters of a million pounds is a lot of money but we will be seeking financial help from many different sources, large and small, including from people who have been members of the church and moved away, and couples and families who have been married or had their children baptised here and those who attend the church regularly for concerts and other events,” the vicar said.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 10 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
He added that All Saints was accelerating its fundraising efforts but would be reliant on gifts, donations and grants. * To help the church, please send donations to: The Treasurer, St Thomas’ Chapel, Church Street, E15 3HU.
Enquiries can be made by calling (020) 8519 0764 or by emailing email@example.com.