Church’s appeal to build �1.75m community hall
West Ham Parish Church is appealing for help in raising �1.75 million to complete a building and restoration project.
All Saints in Church Street needs the funds to construct a community hall on the site of its old vestries, which were demolished nine years ago, and for the refurbishment of its kitchen and bridal porch.
The Rev Stennett Kirby, vicar of All Saints, said: “We are keen to provide extra space in this area for community groups to meet.
“We have had many enquiries over the years from local groups like tenants’ and residents’ associations and people wanting to set up mums’ and toddlers’ groups and other activities.
“We also need space for our own young people to get together, for our choir and other potential groups within the church to meet and socialise.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Kirby said the fence compound at the south-west corner of the church, which contains the foundations of the new building, had become an eyesore for local people and businesses preparing for the Olympics, and it was time to get on with the work.
“One and three-quarters of a million pounds is a lot of money but we will be seeking financial help from many different sources, large and small, including from people who have been members of the church and moved away, and couples and families who have been married or had their children baptised here and those who attend the church regularly for concerts and other events,” the vicar said.
- 1 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 2 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 7 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 8 Pearce believes camaraderie has given West Ham a chance of making Europe
- 9 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 10 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
He added that All Saints was accelerating its fundraising efforts but would be reliant on gifts, donations and grants. * To help the church, please send donations to: The Treasurer, St Thomas’ Chapel, Church Street, E15 3HU.
Enquiries can be made by calling (020) 8519 0764 or by emailing email@example.com.