Christmas lights are switched on across Newham
- Credit: Archant
Newham has been lighting up residents’ winters with a series of Christmas light switch-ons across the borough in East Ham, Stratford, Green Street and Forest Gate.
A huge 25-foot Christmas tree switched on by The Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, got the festive proceedings off to an illuminating start in East Ham on Saturday 28 November.
Local school children delighted audiences with a lantern procession that ran around the East Ham library area while characters of the Theatre Royal Stratford East’s Robin Hood Pantomime made guest appearances.
Sir Robin said: “It was heart warming to see thousands of people enjoying the festive fun on offer at the Christmas light switch ons.
“There were many highlights across all the events from the festive lantern designs used during the parades to the faces of the children when they saw Father Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
“I am sure the lights will continue to add some Christmas cheer to the long winter nights and help to draw people to the local shops, bars, restaurants.”
A host of activities including Zumba sessions, snow machines, face painting, arts and crafts in the library and choir performances meant there was something to please all ages.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
In Stratford, the Every Child a Musician brass quartet performed at the tree lights switch-on in Meridian Square on Friday 4 December.
Father Christmas was on hand to spread lots of festive cheer by granting wishes to children visiting his grotto in the nearby Stratford Library.
Meanwhile, a choir of local school children and carol singers performed at the switch on of the Green Street lights in St. Stephen’s Parade at 4.15pm on Saturday 5 December.
On the same day, Forest Gate’s tree lights sparkled to life by Woodgrange Market. The scene was later transformed into a food festival for hungry revellers in need of mulled wine and mince pies.