Christmas lights are switched on across Newham
- Credit: Archant
Newham has been lighting up residents’ winters with a series of Christmas light switch-ons across the borough in East Ham, Stratford, Green Street and Forest Gate.
A huge 25-foot Christmas tree switched on by The Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, got the festive proceedings off to an illuminating start in East Ham on Saturday 28 November.
Local school children delighted audiences with a lantern procession that ran around the East Ham library area while characters of the Theatre Royal Stratford East’s Robin Hood Pantomime made guest appearances.
Sir Robin said: “It was heart warming to see thousands of people enjoying the festive fun on offer at the Christmas light switch ons.
“There were many highlights across all the events from the festive lantern designs used during the parades to the faces of the children when they saw Father Christmas.
“I am sure the lights will continue to add some Christmas cheer to the long winter nights and help to draw people to the local shops, bars, restaurants.”
A host of activities including Zumba sessions, snow machines, face painting, arts and crafts in the library and choir performances meant there was something to please all ages.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 3 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 4 Sixth form rated Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted
- 5 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 6 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 7 Free waffles for first customers at Royal Wharf Creams Café
- 8 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing
- 9 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
In Stratford, the Every Child a Musician brass quartet performed at the tree lights switch-on in Meridian Square on Friday 4 December.
Father Christmas was on hand to spread lots of festive cheer by granting wishes to children visiting his grotto in the nearby Stratford Library.
Meanwhile, a choir of local school children and carol singers performed at the switch on of the Green Street lights in St. Stephen’s Parade at 4.15pm on Saturday 5 December.
On the same day, Forest Gate’s tree lights sparkled to life by Woodgrange Market. The scene was later transformed into a food festival for hungry revellers in need of mulled wine and mince pies.