Christmas fun starts with lights switch on in East Ham
The festive spirit will be spreading across Newham with the switch on of Christmas lights in East Ham on Saturday.
A yuletide atmosphere is expected at East Ham Market in Pilgrims Way on Saturday with a Santa’s grotto, carol singers, a lantern procession and reindeer and huskies.
Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales will switch on the Christmas lights. He said: “This year’s series of events should bring a huge smile to all our residents. We would love everyone to get involved and have fun. It’s a time for us all to come together and celebrate and enjoy each other’s company.”
In Gallions Reach the fun will kick off at 12noon with the arrival of Santa and his trusted reindeer by sleigh. Throughout the afternoon, there will be music from the Jazz Kings band and the chance to have your photo taken with Santa. The Christmas lights will be switched on at 4pm by the cast of Theatre Royal Stratford East’s Jack & the Beanstalk.
Other festive events due to take place throughout the borough include children’s activities, card making, crafts, mulled wine, mince pies and carol singing by a collective of Forest Gate schools. Father Christmas will also be visiting Woodgrange Market, in Sebert Road and the Kay Rowe Nursery, in Osborne Road, on December 1. The lights will be turned on at 5pm by Mayor Sir Robin Wales.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be a Christmas panto launch, family fun and festive activities in Theatre Square in Stratford on December 1.
Stratford Shopping Centre will have its own lights switched on Friday November 30 at 5.15pm.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 6 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 7 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Shadrach Ogie back in contention for O's trip to Bristol Rovers
- 10 Antonio and Rice fire West Ham to win over Dinamo Zagreb in Europa League
You can also see Santa’s Show Time (Nov 25 to Dec 9, 12noon, 1.30pm, 3pm) and have festive photos (Dec 1, 11am to 5pm) or help Mrs Santa ice a cake (Nov 25, 11am to 4pm).