Chinese supermarket opens in Stratford Centre
- Credit: Archant
A new oriental supermarket has opened in the Stratford Centre.
Loon Fung, which will stock fresh, frozen and long-life products, has signed a 15 year lease for the premises.
Customers flocked to the store on Friday to enjoy entertainment from a lion dancer before the ribbon was cut.
Marketing executive Tiffany Zhong said: “It went really well, better than we thought.
“We had to have crowd control for the first three hours, with queues both inside and outside.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve had a lot of feedback already; people are happy they don’t have to go as far to get their oriental food.”
Loon Fung has five branches across London, three of which are cash and carry stores aimed at trade customers.
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Fan's column: West Ham are in the mix to battle it out with the big boys
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 New partnership to provide scholarships for Newham law students
- 8 Mayor vows to continue Newham free school meals scheme
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
The supermarket in Stratford is the second to open, following in the footsteps of the successful Chinatown store.
The newest branch of the chain, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary next year, will also provide a hot food service for customers.
“We had 30 per cent more takings over the first three days than we expected,” Tiffany added.
“Hopefully it will become as popular as our Chinatown store.”
Andrew Norton, the manager of Stratford Centre, added: “We are very excited about the opening of Loon Fung.
“I feel this will add scope to our current retail mixture, offering our shoppers greater choice.”