Charlton boss Powell to unveil new signings at Welling this weekend
Fans to gain a glimpse of new faces in traditional curtain raiser
Charlton fans will get an early glimpse at some of their new recruits this weekend when they travel to Welling United for their first pre-season friendly.
The annual fixture between the two neighbouring clubs is the traditional curtain raiser to their respective seasons and anticipation is especially high following the series of big-money signings made by Addicks boss Chris Powell.
A total of 12 new faces have arrived at The Valley so far this summer, with Bournemouth left-back Rhoys Wiggins and former Exeter City captain Matt Taylor having been brought in this week to bolster the defence.
Wiggins is known as an attack-minded full-back and will provide competition for places with former Arsenal defender Cedric Evina – who can also play on the left of midfield – having arrived earlier in the summer.
You may also want to watch:
“I know the owners have invested quite heavily in the squad this summer and I’ve seen the signings that have gone on prior to this move so I’m looking forward to getting the season under way and pushing to get in the Championship,” said Wiggins following his arrival.
Taylor, a former goalkeeper in his non-league days, is regarded as a no-nonsense central defender and has skippered Exeter for the past two seasons.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 3 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 6 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 8 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 9 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 10 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
Teenage duo Nick Pope and Ruben Bover Izquierdo also signed on this week – although neither are expected to challenge for the first team in the short term – and could be in the squad at the weekend.
Charlton will leave for their pre-season tour of Spain on Sunday, where they will play Bristol City and Cardiff City before returning to South East London on July 17.
Powell has also been linked with a move for Sheffield Wednesday defender Michael Morrison, who can operate in central defence or at right-back, although discussions between the clubs have cooled in the past few days.
It has also been reported that the former England defender is keen on bringing in four further new faces – three defenders and a fourth striker – via the loan market.
Tickets for the game at Welling are still available from the club office priced at �12 for adults and �7 for concessions.