Charity honours volunteers
Volunteers from City and Canary Wharf companies have been recognised at East London Business Alliance’s 12th Employee Volunteer Awards.
The awards were created to honour business volunteers from ELBA’s portfolio of 123 member companies, who have delivered outstanding work in supporting and mentoring community organisations in east London. ELBA is a charity, committed to bringing private sector resources to the regeneration of east London, placing almost 12,000 business volunteers into the community this year alone.
Liam Kane, Chief Executive of ELBA, said: “It has been a great year for ELBA despite tough economic times and although many of our member companies from the banking, legal and property development sectors are going through a time of change, their commitment to delivering great work in the community has not wavered.”
There were nine accolades awarded on the night. Paul Stebbings, Head of Legal at Tate & Lyle Sugars won two; the Individual Volunteer and Overall Volunteer of the Year Awards, for his extensive work with performing arts venue, Stratford Circus.
Paul Stebbings said: “It was an honour and a complete shock to receive two awards from ELBA. I am very proud to be working with Stratford Circus and look forward to continuing to support the team to deliver a creative, accessible hub for future generations of artists and audiences.”
You may also want to watch:
Last year, ELBA created a special award in memory of Peter Welton, the former Director of ELBA’s Legacy 2020 Programme, to be bestowed upon a community organisation who demonstrated passion, innovation and creativity.
The winner of the Peter Welton Memorial Award was Ben Payne of Ministry of Stories, who said: “It was lovely to win this special award for our work with local children and to be judged by the high standards of innovation and creativity that Peter Welton stood for.”
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 10 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
The Winners are:
Individual Volunteer of the Year - Paul Stebbings, Tate & Lyle Sugars for his work with Stratford Circus
Overall Volunteer of the Year - Paul Stebbings, Tate & Lyle Sugars
Partnership of the Year - BP & New Choices for Youth
Volunteer Team of the Year - Financial Services Authority (FSA) with Teesdale & Hollybush Tenants & Residents Association
Employment Champion - Malcolm Bryant, Morgan Stanley
Legacy Champion - Nomura
Lifetime Supporter Achievement - Dave Wood, BT
Lifetime Supporter Achievement - Richard Gooding
Peter Welton Memorial Award - Ministry of Stories, Ben Payne