Chance for Newham’s young to rise to Glee Club Challenge
- Credit: Archant
The search for the best Glee Club performers has begun again as entries open for the annual Jack Petchey Glee Club Challenge 2014.
The music and dance programme offers young performers in Newham the chance to win a share of £5,000 in prizes and perform at the World famous Southbank Centre at the prestigious Grand Final in December 2014.
The winning group will also get to perform at the London Palladium in March 2015 at the Jack Petchey Foundation 15th anniversary celebrations. TV’s Graham Norton, Patron of the Challenge, will once again head the judging panel at the spectacular Gala Final.
He said: “Every year I am moved by these young people. There is so much passion in their performances it brings a tear to the eye. They are a joy to watch and a real challenge to judge. Everyone should enter!” The other celebrity patrons and judges include TV and West End personalities John Partridge, Brenda Edwards and Tamzin Outhwaite.
Over 1200 performers have taken part in this fantastic competition since it launched in 2011. It’s a flagship programme of the Jack Petchey Foundation inspired by the hugely successful and award winning Glee TV series. The Challenge is open to schools, youth clubs, drama and dance groups, friends with a passion for performing, established groups or those just starting out. This is, however, not just a competition – the top 30 groups will be put through their paces at a series of boot camps and workshops by industry professionals to hone their performing skills.
You may also want to watch:
Lee Thompson, Programme Director, said: “The Jack Petchey Glee Club Challenge just keeps getting bigger and better. In the initial stages it is not just about attracting the best. We are looking for potential – the boot camps are designed to help groups improve their performance skills and confidence. So I would urge any group of young people with an interest in performing to take a look at the website and have a go – you never know you could be performing in front of 1,000 people in December.”
To enter, go to gleeclubchallenge.co.uk for more details. Closing date for entries is June 27.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen