Chance for Newham’s young to rise to Glee Club Challenge
- Credit: Archant
The search for the best Glee Club performers has begun again as entries open for the annual Jack Petchey Glee Club Challenge 2014.
The music and dance programme offers young performers in Newham the chance to win a share of £5,000 in prizes and perform at the World famous Southbank Centre at the prestigious Grand Final in December 2014.
The winning group will also get to perform at the London Palladium in March 2015 at the Jack Petchey Foundation 15th anniversary celebrations. TV’s Graham Norton, Patron of the Challenge, will once again head the judging panel at the spectacular Gala Final.
He said: “Every year I am moved by these young people. There is so much passion in their performances it brings a tear to the eye. They are a joy to watch and a real challenge to judge. Everyone should enter!” The other celebrity patrons and judges include TV and West End personalities John Partridge, Brenda Edwards and Tamzin Outhwaite.
Over 1200 performers have taken part in this fantastic competition since it launched in 2011. It’s a flagship programme of the Jack Petchey Foundation inspired by the hugely successful and award winning Glee TV series. The Challenge is open to schools, youth clubs, drama and dance groups, friends with a passion for performing, established groups or those just starting out. This is, however, not just a competition – the top 30 groups will be put through their paces at a series of boot camps and workshops by industry professionals to hone their performing skills.
You may also want to watch:
Lee Thompson, Programme Director, said: “The Jack Petchey Glee Club Challenge just keeps getting bigger and better. In the initial stages it is not just about attracting the best. We are looking for potential – the boot camps are designed to help groups improve their performance skills and confidence. So I would urge any group of young people with an interest in performing to take a look at the website and have a go – you never know you could be performing in front of 1,000 people in December.”
To enter, go to gleeclubchallenge.co.uk for more details. Closing date for entries is June 27.
- 1 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 4 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 5 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
- 10 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case