CEO of The Renewal Programme & Chaplain to HM The Queen Ann Easter wonders why we can’t get rid of foxes
- Credit: Archant
I would not describe myself as an animal lover – more an animal liker! We had dogs when I was growing up in East Ham and I have kept a dog in my own home ever since. After two somewhat disdainful poodles, Polly and Dolly, we now have Zipporah (the name of Moses’ wife, according to the Bible) – known to her friends as Zippy, the delightfully enthusiastic West Highland Terrier who knows that, If I get up to use the bathroom at 6.55am that means nothing but, if I push back the sheets at 6 57am, that means a walk in the park! Yippee!
My husband Christopher is more of a cat person and we have been allowed to care for Spock and Nicky, the latter a very picky Siamese who ruled the house completely and rode around on Christopher’s shoulders!
As a student of biology at George Green’s School we visited London Zoo for lectures during the winter and I loved to see the amazing variety of creation.
BUT! I HATE FOXES!
Strangely, my sister, who lives in Norfolk, never sees them but here in sunny Forest Gate they are a regular feature of our streets, slinking around, looking menacing, turning the dustbins over and emptying the litter bins,and worse still, foxes are a feature of our gardens. They dig holes, defecate with impunity on the path, the grass and the garden furniture, steal things and try to pull the pump out of the pond. And, of course, when they come anywhere near, they drive poor Zippy mad; she barks and barks and then gets told off. I think they’re just too big to be out on their own!
I have no doubt that we humans are largely to blame for this invasion from the fox world. The proliferation of fast food outlets means that there is plentiful fox-food available on every street – why look elsewhere for it?
- 1 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 2 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
- 3 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 4 Leyton Orient 'got away with one' at Crawley says Wellens
- 5 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
- 6 Coroner slams 'scandalous' failures after woman laid dead for two years
- 7 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
- 8 Motorist who 'appeared to be driving at other vehicles' in Essex arrested
- 9 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 10 We need a couple of bodies says Leyton Orient boss Wellens
I know they are part of God’s creation – but how can I rid my garden of these pests?