Celebrities backing poppy appeal with announcements at Newham stations
- Credit: AlanBarnesPhotography
If you’re travelling on the Tube today, don’t be surprised if you hear a familiar voice over the tannoy.
Celebrities are lending their support to the Royal British Legion, encouraging commuters to donate to the poppy appeal.
Visitors to Canning Town and Stratford will hear announcements from comedian Jo Brand and actor Danny Dyer, with the latter also audible at West Ham.
Football fans may also recognise the dulcet tones of Mark Noble, with the Hammers skipper broadcasting an appeal to travellers at West Ham, Upton Park, East Ham and Plaistow.
They are among 19 stars backing London Poppy Day, which aims to raise as much money for the appeal as possible in a single day.
You may also want to watch:
The recordings are in addition to putting poppies on the front and back of every London Underground, London Overground and DLR train, and special installations at certain stations.
Nine buses and two Tubes have also been wrapped in special poppy livery.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 8 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 9 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
London’s transport commissioner, Mike Brown, said: “We are proud to support the Royal British Legion’s annual London Poppy Day appeal in honour of the 4,500 transport workers, and all others from across the country, who have given their lives in both World Wars and other conflicts.
“Our transport network has once again been covered in the eye-catching poppy livery and customers travelling around the capital will be entertained by famous voices making some special announcements.”