Celebrate 50 years with the Newham Show
- Credit: Archant
It’s that time of the year again.
Live music, celebrity appearances and a chance to head back in time with a 60s theme. are just some of the fun things families can look forward to at The Newham Show.
The borough’s biggest free event is heading down to East Ham this week, and this time, residents will be in for an extra special treat.
The event will also be celebrating the borough’s 50th birthday.
Families will see Central Park in High Street South transformed over the weekend to prepare for the annual show and the borough’s anticipated anniversary celebrations.
You may also want to watch:
During the two-day event, TV and dance fans will be able to see performances from Britain’s Got Talent finalists IMD Legion and Revelation Avenue. while younger guests can look forward to an appearance from CBBC presenter Ben Shires and Cbeebies characters Cook and Line and Postman Pat.
As part of the borough’s 50th anniversary celebrations, guests will be able to head back in time and get a taste of the 60s with a vintage car display, a photographic and moving image display and a beehive hairdressing salon provided by students of Newham College.
- 1 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 2 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 10 CCTV image released after rape reported in Forest Gate
Sir Robin Wales, Mayor of Newham, said: “This free event is the highlight of the year, and there will be even more of a party atmosphere than normal because we are celebrating the borough’s 50th anniversary.”
The event, will start with a carnival, which will be open to all ages and will follow a route through East Ham.
This will be followed by a jam-packed show with live music, pecial celebrity guest appearances, cooking demonstrations, arts and craft stalls, children’s entertainment, a range of Best in Show competitions and information on services available for local residents.
Foodies will have a chance to spruce up their skills with cooking demonstrations in the Village Fete while bakers will be able to show their talents off with the Best in Show competition.
Those wanting to get creative can enjoy the activities in the Hobbies Tent including floristry, blacksmithing and biscuit decoration.
Sir Robin added: “Whether you’re looking to keep the family entertained for the weekend, or show off your accomplishments in the Best in Show tents or just relax by the beach the Newham Show is the place to be. Come along and join in the fun.”
This year the show, which runs between noon and 6pm both days.
Anyone wanting to take part can attend free Community Carnival Classes at East Ham Customer Service Centre and Library ahead of the day to help them create their costumes and props.
For more information on the carnival contact email@example.com or for more details about the show visit www.newham.gov.uk/MNS