Carlisle come from behind to sink Orient

Late winner condemns Slade’s side to fifth straight defeat

Leyton Orient 1 Carlisle United 2

Two goals from new signing Lee Miller saw Carlisle come from behind as they snatched victory with a goal three minutes from time .

Miller, who joined in the week from Middlesbrough, condemned O’s to their fifth successive league defeat.

The O’s remain pointless at the foot of the table, despite Jimmy Smith putting them ahead on 53 minutes with a diving header.

The game finished in driving rain and the storm clouds are gathering around Brisbane Road after their awful start to the season.

The O’s who went into the game playing with a diamond formation in midfield, looked bright early on.

Most Read

But it was the home side’s loan keeper David Button who caught the eye with his confident handling, after joining from Spurs on Thursday.

Genuine chances were at a premium, but O’s started to put their foot on the accelerator midway through the opening period.

First Dean Cox, playing at the point of the diamond saw a shot deflected. Then Cureton went on a wriggling run and squared the ball to Leon McSweeney – but his shot was also blocked.

It was the former Exeter striker that had the best chance on 23 minutes when Charlie Daniels found him with a through ball, but his attempted lob was saved by Adam Collin in the visiting goal.

Cox had another effort from a tight angle on the left, which was pushed away for a corner by Collin while, at the other end, Button tipped a long-range blast from James Berrett over the bar.

Orient started the second half well and David Mooney saw an effort blocked on the line by Stephen O’Halloran, before the deadlock was finally broken.

Eight minutes after the restart Dean Cox delivered an excellent free-kick and Smith sent a looping header into the top corner of the net.

Carlisle almost levelled following a misjudgement by Button, but a great tackle by Scott Cuthbert on Carlisle substitute Francois Zoko preserved Orient’s advantage.

However, Carlisle levelled things up on 68 minutes when new signing Lee Miller, marked his debut with a goal.

He found space in the Orient penalty area and headed Zoko’s right-wing cross into the net.

O’s tried to respond and almost went ahead again when Ben Chorley’s shot from a tight angle crashed into the side netting.

At the other end Carlisle substitute Liam Noble fired in an effort from 20 yards that flew just past a post.

But it was Carlisle who delivered a sting in the tail on 87 minutes.A free-kick from Matty Robson from 30 yards was touched onto the bar by Button, and although he blocked the follow-up attempt from Noble, the O’s defence were slow to react and Miller smashed home his second of the game.

It was a bitter blow for the O’s, as their first point of the season had been ripped from their grasp.

Leyton Orient: Button, Omozusi, Chorley, Cuthbert, Daniels, McSweeney (Laird 77 mins), Smith, Dawson, Cox, Cureton (Revell 82 mins), Mooney (Tehoue 65 mins). Subs: Forbes, Richardson.

Orient bookings: McSweeney (8 mins foul), Omozusi (24 mins foul), Cuthbert 86 mins foul).

Carlisle United: Collin, Robson, McGovern (Curran 78 mins), Welsh, Thirwell (Noble 67 mins), Taiwo (Zoko 58 mins), Miller, Berrett, Tavernier, Michalik, O’Halloran. Subs: Gillespie, Livesey.

Carlisle booking: Taiwo (56 mins foul)

Referee: Dean Whitestone

Attendance: 3,524 (inc 363 Carlisle fans)