Canning Town’s fabulous flyover returns to the area for evenings of art, music and song
- Credit: Archant
A programme of arts and cultural activities that transforms the A13 flyover in Canning Town returns to the area again on Friday.
Dubbed as the most fabulous flyover in the country, the A13 Green project is organised by arts organisation The Brick Box and Newham Council which have announced the return of the A13 Green project this summer.
The project is a programme of arts and cultural activities that will take place in Terry Spinks Place underneath the A13 flyover in Canning Town, animating this previously under-used space, bringing people together and attracting visitors to the borough.
The activities will also explore the longer term possibilities of the space and inform the future landscaping proposals for the site. Organisers say this isn’t just an arts project but an exercise in live placemaking and people-led regeneration.
The A13 Green project will transform the space opposite Canning Town station into an urban village green, complete with bandstand, grass, games and a whole host of spectacular events from Brazilian choirs to storytelling, live bands to light installations - and the famous Toast Temple.
You may also want to watch:
Evenings on the Green will take place every Friday from July 25 to September 12, between 6pm and 10pm. The launch on July 25 will feature a bar, food, games, live music and some very special guests.
Eleanor Barrett, Co-Director and Founder of The Brick Box, said: “We’re delighted to be reinstating the A13 Green. We’re designing a programme of activities which will celebrate the unique qualities of Canning Town and the people that live here.”
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 8 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 9 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
Councillor Lester Hudson, Deputy Mayor and Cabinet Member for Finance, Regeneration and Planning, said: “We do more than any other borough to bring the community together. We are pleased to be working with Brick Box again to bring the A13 space to life. Last year was an amazing success and this year we’ll see even more activities and events for local people.”