Canning Town housing scheme shortlisted for national award
- Credit: Archant
A Canning Town regeneration scheme has been nominated for a national property award.
Phase 3 of Rathbone Market, a £180 million scheme to provide mixed purpose homes, has been shortlisted in the ‘Housing Project’ category at the Sunday Times British Homes Awards 2014.
The award recognises schemes that have planning consent but are no more than six months into development.
Designed by Shoreditch-based architects Project Orange, Phase 3 will provide a communal garden and allotments in addition to 216 new homes.
Director James Soane said: “We are delighted that the design potential of plot three has been recognised by this nomination and continue to work to ensure the building delivers its promise of being a great place to live.”
You may also want to watch:
The Rathbone Market scheme is part of a £3.7 billion project to regenerate the Canning Town and Custom House area, providing up to 10,000 new and refurbished homes over the next 15 years.
The Rathbone Market project is a flagship project within Newham Council’s £3.7bn regeneration programme for Canning Town and Custom House.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 5 Neighbours call for mortuary car wash plans to be reversed
- 6 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 7 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 8 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 9 Pressure mounts on town hall with second Stratford Circus protest
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
Deputy Mayor of Newham Cllr Lester Hudson, Cabinet member for Finance, Regeneration and Planning, said: “Nowhere is the continuing transformation of Canning Town and Custom House more visible than the Rathbone Market development. We welcome this mark of recognition for the quality of design of the final phase.
“Phase 3 will further expand the housing choices for people in the area, delivering new homes in a mix of tenures, including affordable homes. It will maintain the momentum of regeneration in Canning Town and Custom House.”