Canning Town flats evacuated as fire destroys home
PUBLISHED: 08:56 10 March 2016 | UPDATED: 13:14 11 March 2016
A block of flats had to be evacuated after a fire destroyed a ground-floor home last night.
A total of 21 firefighters were called to Trinity Gardens, in Canning Town, at about 3am and spent two hours battling the flames which caused “100 per cent damage” to the flat.
The family-of-seven living in the property were already outside when emergency crews arrived.
A man and a woman suffering smoke inhalation were treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews and then taken to hospital – the man also suffered burns.
A further five more people were also treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
No arrests have been made, as it is believed the fire was accidental, due to an halogen heater igniting a sofa
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “Portable electric heaters used properly will heat a room brilliantly, but they should never be close to flammable materials.
“Shockingly over two thirds of fatal fires involving heaters are caused by clothing or furniture being too close.
“People need to make sure their portable heaters are standing upright and kept well away from clothes, curtains or furniture.”
Fire crews from East Ham, Plaistow, Shadwell and Poplar were all involved.
Did you see what happened or do you live in the block? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8477 3824.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.