Canning Town fashion designer reaches national final
- Credit: Ellyn Grant
If the name Jasmin Begum isn’t familiar to you yet, it soon could be.
The 17-year-old fashion designer has had her work showcased as part of a national competition to find the industry’s brightest new talent.
Hundreds of budding designers from across Britain and beyond entered the Liberty Shopping Centre’s annual fashion design competition, which sees them battle it out to have an original garment manufactured and then sold in the centre.
Jasmin, from Canning Town, beat off stiff competition to be one of 17 finalists to see their designs transformed into actual garments and modelled in a catwalk show at the Romford shopping centre.
She said: “I entered the competition after seeing the information at college and thought it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to get my work and passion noticed.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve been designing clothes from my bedroom for over two years so it was a fantastic feeling to finally get my loved creations onto a catwalk and out into the public and shopper’s eye.”
Entrants had to submit an innovative design for an item of clothing for either a man or a woman, a board on website Pinterest detailing the inspiration behind their design and 500 words on why they should win.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 92 arrests as police respond to community concerns about crime
- 5 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 6 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 7 Stephen Timms 'cannot forgive attacker without meeting face-to-face'
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Newham to 'bring back the broom' as recycling gets boost
- 10 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
Jasmin added: “It was hard to choose which design to put forward but I decided on the 90’s recycled look because it was my most unique, funky design.
“I wanted to appeal to those with an individual sense of style and, judging by the audience’s reception, I think that I definitely succeed.”
Despite all her hard work, Jasmin lost out to two talented designers following the catwalk final, which took place on October 30.
Designs by Florence Boyd, 31, from Brighton and 18-year-old Jake London from Havering wowed the judges enough to claim the crown.
Jasmin did receive praise from one of the judges, Syreeta McQueen from Fashion Capital, following the competition.
She said: “The talent this year was fantastic and all seventeen finalists should feel very proud of their hard work.
“Jasmin submitted a fantastic piece and her hard work shone through; she is a style star in the making.”