Candidates announced for Beckton by-election
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
Seven candidates will be contesting the by-election in Beckton after nominations closed last week.
The seat was made vacant following the death of Cllr Alec Kellaway at the age of 61 in June.
Former mayoral candidates Jane Lithgow, David Mears and David Thorpe, of the Green Party, Ukip and the Liberal Democrats respectively, will be making their second attempt at winning an election this year.
Conservative candidate Syed Ahmed, Mark Dunne of the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition and Kayode Shedowo of the Christian Peoples Alliance will be aiming to take the seat formerly held by Labour.
The party, which is in control of the council, has Tonii Wilson as its representative for the by-election, which will take place on September 11.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham