Candidates announced for Beckton by-election
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
Seven candidates will be contesting the by-election in Beckton after nominations closed last week.
The seat was made vacant following the death of Cllr Alec Kellaway at the age of 61 in June.
Former mayoral candidates Jane Lithgow, David Mears and David Thorpe, of the Green Party, Ukip and the Liberal Democrats respectively, will be making their second attempt at winning an election this year.
Conservative candidate Syed Ahmed, Mark Dunne of the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition and Kayode Shedowo of the Christian Peoples Alliance will be aiming to take the seat formerly held by Labour.
The party, which is in control of the council, has Tonii Wilson as its representative for the by-election, which will take place on September 11.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 3 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 4 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 8 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 9 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR