Cancer charity marks 30th birthday at West Ham
- Credit: Archant
A cancer charity that has provided vital support for sufferers for decades celebrated its 30th birthday yesterday.
The charity, Cancer You Are Not Alone, which is known as CYANA, marked the occasion with a party at West Ham Football Club’s grounds in Upton Park.
The 70 guests include councillors, health experts as well as volunteers, supporters and cancer survivors.
They enjoyed a buffet, a live DJ, as well as a running photo sideshow of the charity’s activities over the last 30 years.
The charity, which is based in Snowshill Road, Manor Park, was formed by two patients in 1983.
You may also want to watch:
Tina Dugard, manager, said: “ Our longest-serving members didn’t ever expect the charity to become this successful or to last for so long. We began as a tiny self-supported group with absolutely no funding, then got help via a Macmillan funded Asian Link Worker’s post in around 2000. This was followed by a contract with the Primary Care Trust in 2004 and since then we have not looked back.
“We currently support around 150 patients, carers and family members each month through one to one counselling, support groups, advice and advocacy and social events, and we accept clinical, community or self referrals.”
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 4 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 9 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 10 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services