Campbell on his way to Orient?
O’s boss is also keen to keep Whing
ORIENT boss Russell Slade has hinted that the club could be set to sign Newcastle Benfield striker John Campbell.
The 22-year-old forward, who plays for the STL Northern League Division One side, has scored 21 goals in 18 league games this season.
Several Football League sides have been linked with Campbell, who spent a trial period at Swindon, where he scored a hat-trick in a reserve team game.
When asked if Orient were about to sign Campbell, who was released by Manchester City in 2007, the O’s boss smiled: “Are we?”
You may also want to watch:
But he did add: “We have had someone down on trial from the northern region.
“We have had a look. There is a possibility. We are never slow to take a punt if we think there is someone from the non-league that can contribute, but we will have to wait and see.”
- 1 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 2 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 3 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 6 Take a peak inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 7 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 8 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 9 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 10 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
The O’s boss hopes to be busy during the transfer window: “I’m hoping to do a little bit of wheeling and dealing,” he said.
Defender Andrew Whing’s loan spell was up at the end of the Colchester game, but Slade admits he would like to keep the defender until the end of the season.
And, if he does a deal this week, it could be that Brighton will allow him to play in the FA Cup. “I’d like to keep ‘Whingy’ until the end of the season at least,” said Slade.
“So there is a bit of negotiating to do with Brighton.”
As revealed last week, the O’s boss is also confident that on-loan Tottenham winger Paul-Jose M’Poku will also stay at the club.
“We have a verbal agreement that it can be done,” said the O’s boss.
“We have just got to sort out the paper work and hope it can be done in the next few days.”