Campaigners hope newspaper will halt arrival of arms fair in Newham
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners hope to prove the pen is mightier than the tank by handing out a one-off newspaper before the arms fair arrives this autumn.
The DSEi Arms Fair is the world’s biggest defence and security exhibition which makes the ExCeL London centre in Custom House its home every two years.
This year, it will march into the borough from September 10 to September 13 but a coalition of activists from Stop the Arms Fair, Campaign Against the Arms Trade, Disarm DSEi, and East London Against the Arms Fair will do their best to stop them in their tracks.
The Newham Adversary newspaper, launched on Saturday, will be posted through residents’ letterboxes and handed out to commuters at train stations in the coming weeks.
Last time, 750 copies of the Adversary were handed out but the print run has been stretched to 3,000 this year.
You may also want to watch:
An international section has also been created with articles written in Gujarati, Punjabi, and Urdu to reflect Newham’s diverse population.
Gwyn Jones, from Forest Gate, said: “We need to share information about plans made here in Newham that will cause so much suffering all over the world.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
Chris Browne, editor of The Newham Adversary, said: “As individuals who think there is something very wrong with the idea of selling deadly weapons in pursuit of corporate profit, we feel it is extremely important to do everything we can to shut down DSEi.
“But the arms trade doesn’t exist in a vacuum; its events have to take place somewhere. For DSEi, that ‘somewhere’ is Newham.
“The Adversary is a big part of Stop the Arms Fair coalition’s public outreach.
“We wanted to get the message out to Newham residents - many of whom hate the arms fair taking place in their borough - that it’s easy to get involved in the campaign; together we can make sure DSEi 2013 is the last ever to darken our doorstep.”
What do you think about the DSEi Arms Fair coming to ExCeL? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, tweet us @NewhamRecorder, or visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Newham.Recorder.