Campaigners’ final bid to influence Boleyn Ground development

Campaigners from Boleyn Development 100 hand in a petition

Campaigners from Boleyn Development 100 hand in a petition - Credit: Frankie-Rose Taylor

Campaigners have handed over their final letters of objection in their bid to change the fate of the Boleyn Ground once West Ham move out this summer.

Galliard Group, who have bought the site, submitted plans to build 838 private homes on the site in November last year.

But campaign group Boleyn Development 100 want all the properties built to be social housing, in response to the lack of affordable homes available in Newham.

“It’s a massive plot of land, and there’s a housing crisis going on,” said campaigner Frankie-Rose Taylor.

“West Ham are a symbol of the community, and to have that turned into luxury flats, it’s just something so wrong.”


You may also want to watch:


She explained that the letters were handed in following an action day to gather opinions on the proposals before the consultation period ended last week.

“The objection period closed on Thursday, so it’s in the hands of the council now,” she said.

Most Read

A council spokeswoman said: “Planning officers have been working closely with the applicant of the Boleyn Ground site to maximise the affordable housing offer on the site.

“The application is currently being considered by the planning team and a decision will be made by Strategic Development Committee at a later date.”

Among Galliard’s plans for the site are a base for the Green Street library, a creche and a community hall.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter