Calls to move Stratford into Underground Zone 2/3
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
Stratford should be moved from Underground Zone 3 to Zone 2/3 to maximise the Olympic legacy and improve perceptions of the area, according to a new report.
Go East: Unlocking the potential of the Thames Estuary, calls on Mayor Boris Johnson to “take symbolic action to redraw London’s transport map and close the gap between central and east London”.
The report, by think tank Centre for London and co-edited by shadow infrastructure minister Andrew Adonis, notes that stations which are of similar distance to central London as Stratford, including North Greenwich and Willesden Green, are in Zone 2 or Zone 2/3, as well as Pudding Mill Lane station which is only about 200 metres from Stratford regional station.
David Leam, who wrote the chapter considering East London transport links, states that although changing the Underground map boundary would cost about £5m this is likely to be offset by an increase in visitors.
Jamie Hodge, of the Stratford Renaissance Partnership, says the group has backed moving Stratford from Zone 3 to Zone 2/3 for several years.
You may also want to watch:
He says changing the transport map boundary is likely to benefit residents, who would receive reduced travel costs, as well as encouraging further investment in the area.
“The perception is that Stratford is a little bit further out than it actually is,” he said. “If it was in Zone 2 it would attract big businesses to the area which might otherwise settle in places like Canary Wharf.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 8 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
“The reality is that it is not going to happen overnight so we need to keep making a case. The more people who are talking about it, the more likely that there is a possibility that something will happen.”
Newham Council and the London Legacy Development Corporation have also supported the idea of moving Stratford to Zone 2/3.