Calling all Sugar Girls for Canning Town coffee morning
Tate & Lyle ‘Sugar Girls’ are invited to attend a series of coffee mornings to reminisce with other workers from the Silvertown refinery.
Following the success of the Sugar Girls exhibition, recently seen at The Hub, Custom House Library, and the Mayor’s Newham Show, and the novel by Nuala Calvi and Duncan Barrett, the first coffee morning will be held at The Hub in Canning Town on Friday August 17.
Featuring a memory wall for visitors to contribute their personal experiences or stories of family members and a photographic display with images of the women at work, Newham NDP, who are organising the event, would like to see as many Sugar Girls as possible.
Jessica Wanamaker, Newham NDP chief executive, said: “Our presence at the Mayor’s Newham Show received a great response from visitors.
“We met some inspirational families who provided us with further insight into how life once was in Newham for working women and their families.
“We hope to further encapsulate interest through our coffee mornings at our community centre The Hub.
“At Newham NDP, we are proud to provide a platform to working women to share their stories by examining a significant, but rarely explored heritage of the local area.
- 1 Newham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Plenty more to come from West Ham's Scamacca says McKinlay
- 3 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 Colleges offer 'alternative paths' towards fruitful careers, principal says
- 6 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 7 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 'There is a cover-up going on somewhere', says flat death OAP's daughter
- 10 West Ham United earn Viborg victory in Europa Conference League play-off
“We are currently planning our next venue for the travelling exhibition and will announce details soon.”
For more information, call 020 7473 5249 or email email@example.com.
The first Sugar Girls Coffee morning is at The Hub, 123 Star Lane, Canning Town, E16 4PZ on Friday August 17.