Calling all Sugar Girls for Canning Town coffee morning
Tate & Lyle ‘Sugar Girls’ are invited to attend a series of coffee mornings to reminisce with other workers from the Silvertown refinery.
Following the success of the Sugar Girls exhibition, recently seen at The Hub, Custom House Library, and the Mayor’s Newham Show, and the novel by Nuala Calvi and Duncan Barrett, the first coffee morning will be held at The Hub in Canning Town on Friday August 17.
Featuring a memory wall for visitors to contribute their personal experiences or stories of family members and a photographic display with images of the women at work, Newham NDP, who are organising the event, would like to see as many Sugar Girls as possible.
Jessica Wanamaker, Newham NDP chief executive, said: “Our presence at the Mayor’s Newham Show received a great response from visitors.
“We met some inspirational families who provided us with further insight into how life once was in Newham for working women and their families.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope to further encapsulate interest through our coffee mornings at our community centre The Hub.
“At Newham NDP, we are proud to provide a platform to working women to share their stories by examining a significant, but rarely explored heritage of the local area.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
“We are currently planning our next venue for the travelling exhibition and will announce details soon.”
For more information, call 020 7473 5249 or email email@example.com.
The first Sugar Girls Coffee morning is at The Hub, 123 Star Lane, Canning Town, E16 4PZ on Friday August 17.