Calling all Sugar Girls for Canning Town coffee morning
Tate & Lyle ‘Sugar Girls’ are invited to attend a series of coffee mornings to reminisce with other workers from the Silvertown refinery.
Following the success of the Sugar Girls exhibition, recently seen at The Hub, Custom House Library, and the Mayor’s Newham Show, and the novel by Nuala Calvi and Duncan Barrett, the first coffee morning will be held at The Hub in Canning Town on Friday August 17.
Featuring a memory wall for visitors to contribute their personal experiences or stories of family members and a photographic display with images of the women at work, Newham NDP, who are organising the event, would like to see as many Sugar Girls as possible.
Jessica Wanamaker, Newham NDP chief executive, said: “Our presence at the Mayor’s Newham Show received a great response from visitors.
“We met some inspirational families who provided us with further insight into how life once was in Newham for working women and their families.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope to further encapsulate interest through our coffee mornings at our community centre The Hub.
“At Newham NDP, we are proud to provide a platform to working women to share their stories by examining a significant, but rarely explored heritage of the local area.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
“We are currently planning our next venue for the travelling exhibition and will announce details soon.”
For more information, call 020 7473 5249 or email email@example.com.
The first Sugar Girls Coffee morning is at The Hub, 123 Star Lane, Canning Town, E16 4PZ on Friday August 17.