Call to repair Queen’s Market roof
- Credit: Pauline Rowe
Campaigners have called on the council to replace the roof of a much-loved market.
Members of Friends of Queen’s Market unveiled banners and umbrellas to demand immediate roof repairs.
Traders have complained about leaks damaging their stock during the wet weather, and with winter approaching are keen to protect the items inside the Green Street market.
The roof of the century-old market was repaired in 2010 and 2013, but the leaks are persisiting.
Repairs have been scheduled but with no start date.
You may also want to watch:
‘We got our own structural engineer to look at the roof and he said that the structure was fine,” explained Friends of Queen.s Market campaigner Pauline Rowe.
“The problems seem to arise from poor maintenance and repair.”
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 8 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
A council spokeswoman said: “The car park above the shops requires significant investment to prevent the roof below from leaking.
“The council is considering the options available during this time of considerable budget pressures and will update the shopkeepers as soon as a decision has been made.”