Shop local: Stratford food hall goes online ahead of store opening
- Credit: Stratford Grocer and Co
There's one week to go to support local businesses in the lead-up to Christmas.
Shopping locally and trading locally are really very important to keep our the area active, and to preserve and support as many of our local businesses and the jobs which they provide as possible.
And the Recorder is urging everyone to do their bit to support Newham businesses either by visiting their shops or their websites.
A pair of food lovers have launched a delivery service ahead of the grand opening of their new business.
Partners Scott Winston and Matthew Bunch are gearing up to welcome customers to Stratford Grocer & Co as part of The Gantry Hotel in Celebration Road, Stratford, in 2021.
You may also want to watch:
But until then the Stratford Grocer & Co website, developed as a response to the Covid-19 restrictions, is offering customers artisanal produce delivered direct to their doors throughout the festive period.
Scott said: "It is a great opportunity for us to reach a new audience in a new space, and we’re confident that Stratford Grocer & Co will be a hit with residents and workers, as well as serve as a destination for curious food folk from further afield.”
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 5 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 6 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 7 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 8 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 10 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
The food hall's permanent space is due to open on the ground floor of The Gantry which is a new hotel set to open in the spring. It features 291 rooms, restaurants, bars and a rooftop venue.
Scott is a former food buyer at Harvey Nichols, Selfridges and Harrods while Matthew used to work at artisan cheesemonger Paxton & Whitfield. The duo started The Camden Grocer based at Camden Market.
Stratford Grocer & Co is offering a range of hampers for entertaining at home or gifts for friends and family. The baskets of goodies include classic Christmas staples.
Matt said: “Building on our experience of the last few years and our proud reputation for delivering unique and engaging food retail concepts, we’re incredibly excited to have the opportunity to bring the spirit of The Camden Grocer to Stratford."
The Food Hall and café, which has a capacity of 200, will boast fresh fruit and vegetables as well as meat from London based butchers.
An array of deli products will sit alongside premium British cheese, charcuterie, groceries, baked goods, fine wines, beers and spirits.
Additionally, an independent plant expert and in-house artisan coffee roaster will be on the ground floor.
Scott and Matthew expect that with their British artisanal offering and events space, Stratford Grocer & Co will make a mark on the luxury retail sector and hospitality industry.