Burning van explosion ‘shook room’ in Canning Town
- Credit: Archant
A neighbour who shot outside after hearing an explosion which “shook the room” found a van engulfed in flames on his street.
Frank Caller, 66, of Cranberry Lane, Canning Town, said he was out on Monday, November 10, when his son text him pictures of the burning vehicle.
He added: “[His son] Craig heard a huge bang which he said shook the room. He shot outside and saw the van had been dumped there and was on fire.
“He thought it looked like arson because it seemed like petrol had been poured all over it. He said the flames were huge, it wasn’t an ordinary van fire.”
Frank, who lives with Craig on the same street the incident took place, also speculated the van had been set alight for a reason.
He added: “Someone has got something to hide driving it all the way to the end of the street, it’s a deliberate thing without a shadow of a doubt.
“You get your rogues around here, it is Canning Town after all, but we’ve never had any trouble like this before.”
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Hammers fans show support for Christmas Toy Appeal
- 8 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 9 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 10 Things to do in east London this weekend
A Met police spokesman confirmed a criminal damage investigation is ongoing and said the vehicle has been taken away while police wait for forensics.
A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said one fire engine from Plaistow was called to a van fire at 19.24 on Monday, November 10.
He added it was under control by 19.45 and there were no injuries.