Building work set to begin on International Quarter next to Olympic Park
- Credit: submitted
Land earmarked for a £2bn development next to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park has officially been handed over to developers this week.
The International Quarter, dubbed the last piece in the jigsaw of Stratford City, will provide four million square feet of flexible workspace either side of Stratford Station.
The 22 acre site will also feature 350 homes, a hotel and convenience retail, and provide 25,000 jobs from company directors to office cleaners.
One part of the 22 acre site will sit where the security entry to the park was located, next to Westfield shopping centre, during the Games and the other on old brownfield industrial land.
The development is a joint venture between Lend Lease, an international property and infrastructure group, and London and Continental Railways, a government owned company, also involved with the regeneration of Kings Cross.
Project Director for The International Quarter, Matt Beasley, said the handover “marked a major step forward. “We now have the keys and are building momentum,” he said.
UEFA, the football governing body for Europe, is holding a free four-day football celebration at site of The International Quarter from May 23 to 26 to coincide with the UEFA Champions League Final at Wembley Stadium on May 25.
- 1 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 2 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 3 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 4 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 5 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 6 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 7 Covid-19: How the situation in Newham compares to this time last year
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Beckton man jailed for role in drugs gang after £2m cannabis plants seizure
- 10 Man sentenced for illegal subletting of council home
A horse show jumping championships, the Global Champions Tour, will be staged at The International Quarter in June.