Budding actors to slam it out in contest at Stratford theatre
- Credit: Archant
An X Factor-style event aimed at aspiring actors is coming to the Theatre Royal Stratford East on Monday.
Monologue Slam UK provides 20 actors with the opportunity to perform in front of an audience and a panel of judges including casting professionals and directors – all of whom are in a position to give them a job.
Produced by TriForce, the show is split into three rounds, including a junior category for under-18s.
Performers will take part in a one-minute monologue, called the smack down, or a three-minute monologue called the heavyweight.
Someone who credits Monologue Slam UK with helping her to land her big break is Chizzy Akudolu.
You may also want to watch:
Holby City star Chizzy first performed in the event, which she won, in 2009 and she took part for a second time just a couple of years ago.
“The casting director for Holby City was on the panel when I took part so I like to think they remembered me and that’s why I got the job,” Chizzy said.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 6 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 7 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 8 Shadrach Ogie back in contention for O's trip to Bristol Rovers
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Antonio and Rice fire West Ham to win over Dinamo Zagreb in Europa League
And having been under the spotlight, she can certainly empathise with the contestants.
“The slam is really nerve-wracking – before you go on stage you are bracing yourself. But when you are on the stage it’s incredible. It’s a friendly house and everyone is so supportive,” Chizzy added.
She also has some words of wisdom for budding actors trying to crack the industry. “You have to 100 per cent love both acting and the industry to be able to deal with the lows. But if it’s your dream, go for it and do what you can to make your dreams come true.”
Monologue Slam UK started in a small theatre in Bethnal Green but has since grown into a nationwide event, with performances taking place in Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and Cardiff.
Winners from the regional events are invited to perform at the national final in December, which will also be held at the Stratford theatre in Gerry Raffles Square.