British teams announced for Great Newham London Run relay
- Credit: Archant
Some of Britain’s top distance runners will be uniting for the marathon team relay at the Great Newham London Run.
Andy Butchart and Lily Partridge, who are competing in the European Team Championships in Cheboksary, Russia, this weekend, are heading up the teams.
The run takes place around Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park on July 19.
The men’s team also features Commonwealth Games 10,000m finalist Luke Caldwell and cross country runners Charlie Hulson and Jonny Hay.
The women’s team includes another Commonwealth Games 10,000m finalist in Beth Potter, with fellow 10,000m runner Jess Coulson and under 23 cross country champion Rhona Auckland completing the squad.
You may also want to watch:
Open to runners of all abilities, the team relay sees runners complete 10.54km each – a quarter of a marathon – with cash prizes on offer for the top three teams in each category.
The company behind the event also plans to assemble overseas teams to take on the challenge of breaking the two hour mark for the marathon.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
Entry is available from greatrun.org