British swimmer Aimee Willmott is preparing for the Olympics
- Credit: Archant
I’ve just come back from Belo Horizonte which is where the British preparation camp will be ahead of the Rio 2016 Olympics, and it was great to see what was on offer.
We got to go across to Rio de Janeiro to see the facilities – the Olympic pool and athletes’ village – and it’s really helpful knowing what the set up will be like.
It will be completely different racing at night time in Rio and so we trained a lot later to try and simulate how it feels to race at that time and how it is to sleep afterwards.
Brazil was a trial week and I was chuffed to be given the opportunity to go out there. I have got the ASA National Winter Meet in Sheffield coming up now and then in a matter of months the British Championships will almost be here and I will be resting.
Next year we have a few international meets before the British Championships, and then, the European Championships are in May, at the pool I train in everyday – the amazing London Aquatics Centre.
You may also want to watch:
I love the team I swim with and it is brilliant to be around such an enthusiastic group. I am looking forward to the Europeans and hopefully off the back of the British Championships I’ll race some fairly quick times and make the team and get back to Brazil for the real thing. It will be Olympic year before we know it.
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards