Bring & Fix brings community spirit to Stratford
Stratford residents found a particularly novel way of tightening the purse strings at a unique community event.
A Bring & Fix fair was held for the first time at the Rokeby Community Centre, in Rokeby Street for people to share their skills and possibly learn new ones to repair old possessions.
The free event, run by NUSHO in partnership with Newham charity Community Links, was designed to be intergenerational so that the old could show the young a few things and vice versa, providiing the ideal occasion for strengthening community ties.
People shared their knowledge and skills to help each other fix things, seek and provide advice, and come up with solutions to mend broken objects, building community spirit along the way.
Fun of the more traditional variety was also had on a bouncy castle while adults took part in some salsa dancing and attended the barbeque in the blazing sun.
You may also want to watch:
Many people left the event with printed photos, gardening tips, knitting ideas, hair braiding techniques, IT tips, vegetable people making, hanging basket tips, massage and relaxation, guitar entertainment, samosas and cupcakes.
The raffle was extremely popular and many prizes were won. We’d like to therefore thank all our Organisational timebank sponsors listed below for their generous donations:
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 5 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 6 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
The organisers would like to thank their sponsors for contributing to the raffle - Body Shop, Caribbean Scene, Greggs, McDonalds, Morrisons, Newham Council, North East London and City, Peacocks, Pitman, Pizza Express, Starbucks, Stratford Market Traders, Stratford Picture House, Theatre Royal Stratford and Tiger.