Bring & Fix brings community spirit to Stratford
Stratford residents found a particularly novel way of tightening the purse strings at a unique community event.
A Bring & Fix fair was held for the first time at the Rokeby Community Centre, in Rokeby Street for people to share their skills and possibly learn new ones to repair old possessions.
The free event, run by NUSHO in partnership with Newham charity Community Links, was designed to be intergenerational so that the old could show the young a few things and vice versa, providiing the ideal occasion for strengthening community ties.
People shared their knowledge and skills to help each other fix things, seek and provide advice, and come up with solutions to mend broken objects, building community spirit along the way.
Fun of the more traditional variety was also had on a bouncy castle while adults took part in some salsa dancing and attended the barbeque in the blazing sun.
You may also want to watch:
Many people left the event with printed photos, gardening tips, knitting ideas, hair braiding techniques, IT tips, vegetable people making, hanging basket tips, massage and relaxation, guitar entertainment, samosas and cupcakes.
The raffle was extremely popular and many prizes were won. We’d like to therefore thank all our Organisational timebank sponsors listed below for their generous donations:
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 3 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 8 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 9 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 10 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
The organisers would like to thank their sponsors for contributing to the raffle - Body Shop, Caribbean Scene, Greggs, McDonalds, Morrisons, Newham Council, North East London and City, Peacocks, Pitman, Pizza Express, Starbucks, Stratford Market Traders, Stratford Picture House, Theatre Royal Stratford and Tiger.