Breaking News: Scrapyard “fully alight” in Canning Town
Blaze closes roads and transport links
A major blaze in the scapyard of a waste management centre in Canning Town is being fought by more than 30 firefighters. Roads close to the incident in Dock Road have been shut and the DLR train service between Canning Town and Silvertown stations are suspended.
Firefighters were alerted at 4.26pm.
Nearby residents report “loud bangs” and thick smoke at the scene and the London Fire Brigade said that a scrapyard is “fully alight”.
Gas cylinders are involved in the fire which can explode when exposed to heat so a temporary hazard zone of around 200 metres has been established say London Fire Brigade.
You may also want to watch:
Roads that are closed are the A1020 Silvertown Way between the A1020 Lower Lea Crossing roundabout and Thames Road/Pontoon Dock.
Crews from Stratford, Plaistow, Hainault, Stoke Newington, Poplar and Millwall are present at the scene.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 6 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Protesters target DSEI arms fair at ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Woman arrested on suspicion of murder after man fatally stabbed
- 10 Disused office building damaged in East Ham fire