Boys of St Bon’s celebrate best ever GCSE results
The boys of St Bonaventure’s RC School in Forest Gate bucked the national trend and celebrated their best results ever.
An impressive 99.5 per cent of students at the specialist science and technology college in Boleyn Road achieved at least five A* to C grades at GCSE while 76 per cent gained at least five A* to C grades including the core subjects of English and Maths.
Back in 2010, St Bonaventure’s had an overall pass rate of 90 per cent, meaning they have made an improvement of nearly 10 per cent in just two years.
Head teacher Paul Halliwell said: “I have never been so pleased with a group of boys.
“They have worked so hard and this year group have really pushed themselves and they have taken the opportunities presented to them.
You may also want to watch:
“We had an 80 per cent attendance for our Saturday classes. They worked hard to achieve the success they got.”
Father John, the Chair of Governors for 12 years, said: “St Bonaventure’s shows that regardless of where you are, if you get the right teachers and if you get the atmosphere right, you can do it.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 3 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 4 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 5 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 8 Newham Muslim groups urge Boris Johnson to condemn attack in Canada
- 9 Leyton Orient sign defender Omar Beckles from Crewe Alexandra
- 10 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
“St Bonaventure’s takes away the lie that poor areas can’t achieve.”