Boys of St Bon’s celebrate best ever GCSE results
The boys of St Bonaventure’s RC School in Forest Gate bucked the national trend and celebrated their best results ever.
An impressive 99.5 per cent of students at the specialist science and technology college in Boleyn Road achieved at least five A* to C grades at GCSE while 76 per cent gained at least five A* to C grades including the core subjects of English and Maths.
Back in 2010, St Bonaventure’s had an overall pass rate of 90 per cent, meaning they have made an improvement of nearly 10 per cent in just two years.
Head teacher Paul Halliwell said: “I have never been so pleased with a group of boys.
“They have worked so hard and this year group have really pushed themselves and they have taken the opportunities presented to them.
“We had an 80 per cent attendance for our Saturday classes. They worked hard to achieve the success they got.”
Father John, the Chair of Governors for 12 years, said: “St Bonaventure’s shows that regardless of where you are, if you get the right teachers and if you get the atmosphere right, you can do it.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 7 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 8 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 9 Trust seeks extension to fire safety order after £35m hospital work delay
- 10 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
“St Bonaventure’s takes away the lie that poor areas can’t achieve.”