Borough market coming to Canning Town as part of new redevelopment
- Credit: Archant
A taste of Borough market is coming to Canning Town as part of a £100m project to regenerate and revitalise the area.
The former Goswell Bakeries buildings and Moss Electrical warehouse in Caxton Street North will be transformed into 336 homes, commercial premises and retail space, inspired by the popular Southwark food market.
The innovative new 2.2 acre mixed use project will be part-pedestrianised, incorporating the residential Royal Gateway with the commercial Caxton Works.
Developers Cathedral Group and Galliard Homes will work together to deliver the scheme which has been designed by awardwinning architects Studio Egret West and praised by the London Borough of Newham.
Construction work will begin in the summer with homeowners due to start moving in from March 2016 and the development scheduled for overall completion in Spring 2017.
The former bakeries and electrical warehouse used to employ more than 100 people as part of a thriving community, which is something the developers hope to replicate. Hoy Street is envisioned to become a vibrant market style pedestrian space, wih a mix of studio workshops, authentic local retail outlets, cafes and al fresco eateries.
Martyn Evans, creative director of Cathedral Group, which will develop the commercial aspect of the project, said: “If you just put up a building and fill it up with flats and a convenience store on the ground level, it just creates ghettos as there is nothing there for the people. We try hard to provide community and bring life into an area, to create an area where people will want to come.”
- 1 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 2 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
- 3 West Ham will add more after Cornet signing says Moyes
- 4 Coroner slams 'scandalous' failures after woman laid dead for two years
- 5 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 6 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
- 7 Clapton microbakery Charles Artisan Bread opens new site in Stratford
- 8 'Extremely hard': Mum donates Isla Caton's toys in act of kindness so 'her legacy lives on'
- 9 Boys locked up for murdering 14-year-old Fares Maatou
- 10 Motorist who 'appeared to be driving at other vehicles' in Essex arrested
Galliard Homes is developing the residential side of the project which will consist of five newly built apartment buildings providing 336 homes, starting from £250,000. Panoramic views will be available from the upper floors, with other features including dramatic roofscapes, podium level landscaped courtyards, floor to ceiling windows, balconies and bright and airy open living spaces.
Further information about the residential side of the project will be available at the sales launch which will be held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at Royal Victoria Dock this weekend. For details contact Galliard Homes on 020 7620 1500 or visit www.galliardhomes.com