Blackwall Tunnel Easter shut-down warning
Motorists are warned the Blackwall Tunnel is closed to southbound traffic over the Easter weekend and to avoid the area.
The closure to make way for refurbishment of the 113-year-old river crossing is from 9pm Thursday to 5am Tuesday, April 21-26 April.
As an alternative, the Rotherhithe Tunnel will be dedicated to southbound traffic over the period.
It will operate two lanes in the southbound direction while the Blackwall Tunnel will carry only northbound traffic.
The Woolwich Ferry will also be operating a two-boat service across the Easter weekend (Good Friday, Saturday and Easter Monday 6.10am -10pm and Sunday 9am-9.30pm).
You may also want to watch:
Work completed so far includes the installation of new ventilation fans in the tunnel’s four shafts as well as new lighting, upgraded CCTV and new communication systems installed throughout the tunnel. Work has also begun installing 26 inlets in the tunnel wall, including emergency phones and fire extinguishers, providing a safe area for any drivers whose vehicles have broken down within the tunnel.
Garrett Emmerson, Chief Operating Officer for London Streets, TfL, described the progress as phenomenal and that, as a result, the project is likely to be completed one year ahead of schedule,
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
She added: “We apologise for the delays and inconvenience that this closure will inevitably cause.”
For more information, visit www.tfl.gov.uk/blackwalltunnelrefurbishment.