Big rise in Newham residents applying for apprenticeships
There has been a huge increase in the number of people applying for apprenticeships in Newham over the past year, figures have revealed.
Statistics released by the National Apprenticeship Service have shown there was a 124 per cent increase in the number of online applications made for apprenticeships in the year 2012/13 compared with the same period the year before. In the year 2011/12 there were 4,240 applications but a year later this rose to 9,480.
This compares with an increase of 54 per cent in Barking and Dagenham and 25 per cent in Tower Hamlets.
The service said apprenticeships continue to appeal to employers, with close to 129,000 vacancies posted online in 2012/13 compared to 101,000 in 2011/12, a rise of 27 per cent. But with each online vacancy now attracting an average of 11 applications, the government is urging more employers to consider how hiring an apprentice could benefit their business.
Charlotte Hewson, Employer Account Manager for the National Apprenticeship Service in Newham said: “There has been a concerted effort in Newham over the last 12 months to continue the regeneration stemming from the Olympics. The National Apprenticeship Service has worked extensively with the council and local employers to create an 80% increase in Apprenticeship vacancies in the borough. The significant rise in applications goes to show the demand amongst young job seekers for opportunities such as these.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew Hancock MP, Skills Minister, said: “We want to see it become the norm that young people either go to University or into an Apprenticeship. To match the growing popularity of Apprenticeships, I would urge more employers to consider how hiring an apprentice could benefit their business.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 8 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim