Bibles presented to war heroes
Soldiers and officers from a Territorial Army unit in West Ham have been presented with New Testament Bibles ahead of a tour of Afghanistan.
F and G Company, 7RIFLES, received the commemorative Bibles inscribed with the regiment’s badge from members and friends of the Hope Baptist Church, Stafford Road in Forest Gate at the Territorial Army Centre in West Ham.
Thanking the Deacon and Hope Church congregation, G Company commanding officer Major Micky Blake, said: “This is a very special presentation and on behalf of the lads here tonight and the regiment we will make sure your gift will travel with us.”
The unit, which is based in Portway, West Ham and Davies Street, Mayfair is preparing for a tour of Afghanistan in October.
Hope Church officer, Brian Fitzsimons, who presented the Bibles along with Deacon Ferris Lindsay, said: “Having met with the unit recently at an event, and hearing that so many of our local young men were off to serve in Afghanistan we felt we wanted to mark the occasion in a significant way and to have done so with this bible with the regiment’s cap badge is very fitting.”
You may also want to watch:
The bibles were produced by the Naval Military and Air Force Bible Society charity.
- 1 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 2 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Goodmayes racer Alex Lynn and title leader Sam Bird preview London E-Prix
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 8 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House