Bibles presented to war heroes
Soldiers and officers from a Territorial Army unit in West Ham have been presented with New Testament Bibles ahead of a tour of Afghanistan.
F and G Company, 7RIFLES, received the commemorative Bibles inscribed with the regiment’s badge from members and friends of the Hope Baptist Church, Stafford Road in Forest Gate at the Territorial Army Centre in West Ham.
Thanking the Deacon and Hope Church congregation, G Company commanding officer Major Micky Blake, said: “This is a very special presentation and on behalf of the lads here tonight and the regiment we will make sure your gift will travel with us.”
The unit, which is based in Portway, West Ham and Davies Street, Mayfair is preparing for a tour of Afghanistan in October.
Hope Church officer, Brian Fitzsimons, who presented the Bibles along with Deacon Ferris Lindsay, said: “Having met with the unit recently at an event, and hearing that so many of our local young men were off to serve in Afghanistan we felt we wanted to mark the occasion in a significant way and to have done so with this bible with the regiment’s cap badge is very fitting.”
The bibles were produced by the Naval Military and Air Force Bible Society charity.
- 1 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 2 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 3 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 4 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 5 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 6 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 7 Covid-19: How the situation in Newham compares to this time last year
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Beckton man jailed for role in drugs gang after £2m cannabis plants seizure
- 10 Man sentenced for illegal subletting of council home