Beckton school’s donation for music block
- Credit: Archant
A new music block facility at Gallions Primary School is a step closer to completion thanks to a £5,000 donation from London City Airport.
The airport’s donation will help build a new stand alone music centre to the rear of the existing school building in Warwall, Beckton.
As well as providing state of the art music facilities for pupils at the school, it will also become a hub for the development of local community organisations and arts projects.
Construction is due to start in the summer for completion by January 2015.
Paul Jackson, Headteacher at Gallions Primary School said: “We believe that the arts can aid learning and are a vital part of a well-rounded education. Music has always been a specialism at the school, with many pupils going on to pursue a career in the industry. The new facility will enable children and young people to learn with instruments and instruction that they would otherwise not have access to, helping them to develop new skills and interests that can help them in their academic, social and future working lives. We are very grateful to London City Airport for its generous donation.”
You may also want to watch:
Declan Collier, CEO of London City Airport said: “Supporting education, providing training opportunities for local people and ultimately creating much-needed jobs in Newham and East London are key aims of our business. This new facility and the benefits it will deliver are very much in keeping with our aims and we are therefore delighted to support the project, which will provide new learning and development opportunities for local children and adults.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 6 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 7 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 8 Protesters target DSEI arms fair at ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Woman arrested on suspicion of murder after man fatally stabbed
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k