Beckton school’s donation for music block
- Credit: Archant
A new music block facility at Gallions Primary School is a step closer to completion thanks to a £5,000 donation from London City Airport.
The airport’s donation will help build a new stand alone music centre to the rear of the existing school building in Warwall, Beckton.
As well as providing state of the art music facilities for pupils at the school, it will also become a hub for the development of local community organisations and arts projects.
Construction is due to start in the summer for completion by January 2015.
Paul Jackson, Headteacher at Gallions Primary School said: “We believe that the arts can aid learning and are a vital part of a well-rounded education. Music has always been a specialism at the school, with many pupils going on to pursue a career in the industry. The new facility will enable children and young people to learn with instruments and instruction that they would otherwise not have access to, helping them to develop new skills and interests that can help them in their academic, social and future working lives. We are very grateful to London City Airport for its generous donation.”
You may also want to watch:
Declan Collier, CEO of London City Airport said: “Supporting education, providing training opportunities for local people and ultimately creating much-needed jobs in Newham and East London are key aims of our business. This new facility and the benefits it will deliver are very much in keeping with our aims and we are therefore delighted to support the project, which will provide new learning and development opportunities for local children and adults.”
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 7 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation