Beckton’s Richard House study reveals lack of awareness about hospice
A survey carried out by a children’s hospice has shown there is a lack of awareness about such organisations.
The study, which was carried out by Richard House Children’s Hospice in Beckton showed that more than 60 per cent of those asked believed there were twelve or less children’s hospices in the UK, while there are in fact 42.
This compares with 61 per cent who correctly identified the total number of hospices (adults and children combined) in the UK, indicating that there is more understanding of the prevalence of hospices supporting adults than children in the UK.
Of those surveyed, 54 per cent had visited a hospice, while 64 per cent knew where their nearest hospice was. More than 90 people took part in the survey, at Richard House shops, outside football grounds and online. It was conducted to raise awareness of hospice care as part of Hospice Care Week, October 7 to 13.
Peter Ellis, chief executive of the hospice, said: “The results around awareness of children’s hospices highlight that many people are unaware of just how great the need for hospice care for children and young adults is. Our hospice alone works with more than 300 families and we know there are many more who need care in and around London.”
You may also want to watch:
“It’s encouraging to see that so many people mentioned care and support when they thought of a hospice. Of course we deal with dying, death, loss and grief, but a hospice environment is also a really supportive place.”
- 1 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 6 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 7 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 8 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford
- 9 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 10 Lanzini enjoying deeper role for West Ham in pre-season