Beckton’s childrens hospice welcomes volunteers
- Credit: Archant
A children’s hospice welcomed volunteers for the fourth consecutive year on Mandela day in Beckton.
Richard House Children’s Hospice received support for their garden from the South African High Commission on one of the hottest days of the year in East London.
Sisanda Lisa, First Secretary at the High Commission, said: “We are here volunteering at Richard House to celebrate the birthday of our icon Mandela, and to live his legacy of serving others.
“Richard House is a great cause for people to support on this day and every day.”
The young people’s hospice provides care and services to children with life-limiting, life-threatening and complex healthcare conditions and their families from London and the surrounding area.
You may also want to watch:
It also specialises in family support, bereavement services and runs a siblings group and a young adults group.
Rachel Power, Director of Human Resources and Engagement at Richard House said: “It was brilliant to see such wonderful community spirit on a special day for South Africans.”
- 1 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 2 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 10 CCTV image released after rape reported in Forest Gate
The volunteer day coincided with what would have been the 96th birthday of former president Nelson Mandela, known as Madiba throughout South Africa.
Mandela Day has been celebrated since 2010 and aims to inspire individuals to take action to help change the world for the better and in doing so build a global movement for good.