Beckton’s brave Fiona is skydiving for developing world
- Credit: Archant
An aspiring law student will be jumping out of a plane during her gap year to raise money for development projects in poorer countries.
Fiona Mo, 18, from Beckton is travelling to Tanzania in June to team up with other volunteers to tackle problems in the local community through a 10-week development programme.
Fiona, who hopes to study law at the University of Durham in September, landed a place on the Government’s International Citizen Service (ICS) that offers young people aged 18 to 25 the chance to work around the world and undertake an “Action at Home” project on their return to benefit their local area at home.
Fiona said: “My skydive is a way of making sure developing countries can continue to benefit from the work of future volunteers, so it’s vital I reach my target.
“I’ve taken part in other activities to try and fundraise for example cake sales as well.
You may also want to watch:
“The project I will be working on is run by the development charity Raleigh International and aims to improve access to sanitation and educating people about health and hygiene.
“This is a unique opportunity to work alongside people from a different culture who have requested help from young volunteers to fight poverty and make a difference where it’s needed most.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 3 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 4 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 5 West Ham start at Newcastle as Premier League fixtures released
- 6 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 7 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
“I’m really excited to get out there.”
To sponsor Fiona, visit http://www.justgiving.com/Fiona-Mo or click the link on the right hand side bar.