Beckton’s brave Fiona is skydiving for developing world
- Credit: Archant
An aspiring law student will be jumping out of a plane during her gap year to raise money for development projects in poorer countries.
Fiona Mo, 18, from Beckton is travelling to Tanzania in June to team up with other volunteers to tackle problems in the local community through a 10-week development programme.
Fiona, who hopes to study law at the University of Durham in September, landed a place on the Government’s International Citizen Service (ICS) that offers young people aged 18 to 25 the chance to work around the world and undertake an “Action at Home” project on their return to benefit their local area at home.
Fiona said: “My skydive is a way of making sure developing countries can continue to benefit from the work of future volunteers, so it’s vital I reach my target.
“I’ve taken part in other activities to try and fundraise for example cake sales as well.
You may also want to watch:
“The project I will be working on is run by the development charity Raleigh International and aims to improve access to sanitation and educating people about health and hygiene.
“This is a unique opportunity to work alongside people from a different culture who have requested help from young volunteers to fight poverty and make a difference where it’s needed most.
- 1 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 3 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 4 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
- 5 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 6 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 7 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 8 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 9 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 10 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
“I’m really excited to get out there.”
To sponsor Fiona, visit http://www.justgiving.com/Fiona-Mo or click the link on the right hand side bar.