Beckton’s brave Fiona is skydiving for developing world
- Credit: Archant
An aspiring law student will be jumping out of a plane during her gap year to raise money for development projects in poorer countries.
Fiona Mo, 18, from Beckton is travelling to Tanzania in June to team up with other volunteers to tackle problems in the local community through a 10-week development programme.
Fiona, who hopes to study law at the University of Durham in September, landed a place on the Government’s International Citizen Service (ICS) that offers young people aged 18 to 25 the chance to work around the world and undertake an “Action at Home” project on their return to benefit their local area at home.
Fiona said: “My skydive is a way of making sure developing countries can continue to benefit from the work of future volunteers, so it’s vital I reach my target.
“I’ve taken part in other activities to try and fundraise for example cake sales as well.
“The project I will be working on is run by the development charity Raleigh International and aims to improve access to sanitation and educating people about health and hygiene.
“This is a unique opportunity to work alongside people from a different culture who have requested help from young volunteers to fight poverty and make a difference where it’s needed most.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 3 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 4 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 5 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 6 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 7 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 8 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 9 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 10 Trust seeks extension to fire safety order after £35m hospital work delay
“I’m really excited to get out there.”
To sponsor Fiona, visit http://www.justgiving.com/Fiona-Mo or click the link on the right hand side bar.