Beckton road closed to disrupt car meet
A Beckton road will be closed tomorrow night in an attempt to disrupt a Fast and Furious style rally.
Royal Albert Way will be closed from 10pm to 3am between its junctions with Stansfield Road and Gallions roundabout.
Vehicles will be diverted around the road closure.
The council has been tipped off that a large number of people will be attending a car meet nearby and hope the road closure will disrupt proceedings.
Councillor Unmesh Desai, cabinet member for crime and anti-social behaviour, said: “We have recently been working jointly with Newham Police in response to residents concerns about anti-social drivers attending Fast and Furious-style meets in Newham.
“This weekend we understand that there is due to be a large gathering in Beckton on Saturday night and we have taken action, alongside our police colleagues, to close Royal Albert Way in a bid to prevent irresponsible drivers visiting the borough and racing on our roads.”
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 6 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 7 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 8 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 9 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 10 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough