Beckton residents forced to clean up tipped rubbish
- Credit: Archant
Residents have been forced to clean up other people’s rubbish after constant fly-tipping outside their homes.
Emmanuel Obasi, 45, rallied his neighbours in Goose Square, Beckton, to tackle heaps of rubbish left in a car park.
Mr Obasi, who works with the local TNT courier, said the rubbish has become an “eyesore” and attracted foxes and rodents.
He said: “We started noticing unusual faces around here leaving their tyres and bringing in some weird registration numbers.
“It just kept happening and bit by bit they threw rubbish in the road and litter all over the place. Now they are even dumping mattresses.”
Eight households chipped in to raise money for a van to transport the rubbish to a dump.
Mr Obasi said: “I thought it would take just a few hours but it took us all day.
- 1 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 2 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 3 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 4 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 5 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
“Now everyone comes and says ‘wow’. It’s not finished yet but I think it’s much cleaner.”
Residents say their landlord has not done enough to address the problem.
Mr Obasi said: “The car park needed to be maintained but no-one wants to contribute to that.
“It has now become a dumping ground for refuse, instead of people using bins provided by the council.
“There are foxes and rodents – it’s a health hazard.”
Mr Obasi has also set up a Neighbourhood Watch which is meeting for the first time next month.