Beckton man jailed for violent robbery of French student
- Credit: Archant
A man from Beckton has been jailed for three and a half years for the violent robbery of a French student.
Adebowale Mafo, 28, of East Ham Manor Way, was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday, September 5, for robbery and assaulting police with intent to resist arrest.
Mafo saw the 24-year-old woman when driving through Ilford on June 15 2013, before stopping to talk to her and exchanging numbers under the alias, David.
He called her the next morning, offering to help move her belongings to her new house, but instead drove her to Canning Town, explaining he needed to change vehicles.
Mafo then walked with the victim to a secluded alley in Richard House Drive before grabbing her, punching her in the face and demanding she hand over the £600 deposit for her new home.
You may also want to watch:
He stole the woman’s money and mobile phone, and drove off with all of her documents and belongings.
Mafo was traced by his phone records and arrested at his parents’ home on July 16, 2013, where he assaulted a police officer.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
Det Con Rafiq Patel said: “I am really pleased with the result of the investigation and the sentence Mafo has received.
“It reflects the gravity of what he did as he subjected this woman to a terrifying ordeal.”