Beckton hospice staff welcome volunteers for Mandela Day
- Credit: Archant
Staff at a children’s hospice welcomed volunteers from the South African High Commission as part of celebrations for Mandela Day.
They showed their community spirit by working in the hospice gardens during one of the hottest days of the year.
It was the third year in succession that the High Commission has spent the special day at Richard House Children’s Hospice in Beckton.
The trip was arranged to coincide with the 95th birthday of former president Nelson Mandela, known as Madiba throughout South Africa, on a day celebrated worldwide as Mandela Day. The volunteers worked a symbolic 67 minutes to represent the years the ex-South African President spent serving his community, his country and the world.
Mandela Day has been celebrated since 2010 and aims to inspire individuals to take action to help change the world for the better and in doing so build a global movement for good.
You may also want to watch:
Rachel Power, Director of Human Resources and Engagement at the Richard House, said: “It was brilliant to see such wonderful community spirit on a special day for South Africans.
Carol Mabuza, First Secretary at the High Commission, said: “It was a really enjoyable day and we are proud to be able to help such a fantastic organisation. Nelson Mandela has always cared deeply about children, so it was great to help out at Richard House Children’s Hospice for Mandela Day.”
- 1 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 4 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 5 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 6 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 7 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 8 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 9 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London