Beckton hospice mascot invades China Town
A giant mascot from London’s oldest children’s hospice invaded China Town recently to help launch its Rainbow of Nations season.
Its aim is to raise awareness of the hospice across the various communities it serves as well as celebrating the diverse nature of the capital and the arrival of the Olympic Games.
As part of it, Richard House will host a series of events at its Beckton base and in the local area with a different continent taking the focus each week. The events will include special dinners served at the hospice by mums and dads and Harry the Head, the hospice’s giant mascot, venturing out into iconic venues connected to each continent.
First up was Asia and the mascot visited China Town. Harry the Head explored the New Loon Moon Supermarket where he was taught about the ingredients and cooking utensils used to make Chinese dishes by the store manager. Following this he was treated to a delicious three-course meal at the Top of the Town Restaurant.
Bo Zhou, Store Manager at the New Loon Moon Supermarket, said: “I was a bit surprised when Harry the Head came into the store but was very pleased to show him around. London is such a multi-cultural city and it is great that Harry is learning about Asia this week.”
You may also want to watch:
Albert Yip, Manager at Top of the Town Restaurant, added: “I’m glad to help promote Harry the Head and for him to experience Chinese cuisine at Top of the Town Restaurant. It is fantastic to see Harry highlighting the diversity of cultures in London.”
The season is part of the hospice’s Harry’s Million campaign, which aims to raise �1m to help pay for nurses and play and care workers. The campaign was inspired by former Richard House young adult Harry Singh, who now works part-time in the fundraising team at the hospice
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 7 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k