Beckton hospice helps parents return to school
For parents across east London the end of August means getting children ready for the new school term with shoes, pens, uniforms and early starts.
For parents caring for life-limited children and young adults, the start of the new school term has a very different feel to it. Many of those children will be unable to return to or even start education and many of their parents will be unable to enjoy the rest a child’s schooling also affords to them.
That is where Richard House Children’s Hospice in Beckton steps in because, with its help, children who may not have previously been able to go to school are now able to.
One such child is Aysu Guven, from Edmonton. Struck down with blindness and severe epilepsy as a baby, she would normally be unable to attend school, leaving her parents as her full-time carers.
But thanks to the support of Richard House and Waverley Special School, in north London, Aysu is going back to education this school term and her parents are, for the first time since her birth five years ago, getting their independence back.
You may also want to watch:
A similar story is that of brother and sister Josh and Cara Smith, from Bow. Both children suffer from cystic fibrosis and need extensive medical treatment before, during and after school.
Support from Richard House has eased this burden on mum Alison and given her an extra break thanks to its offer of respite care.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley