Beckton hospice calls for dancers
Amateur dancers are being urged to sign up for a competition that will give them the ‘buzz’ of performing live.
Stewart Birnie from south London, wants people to put their names down for Take To The Floor with Richard House Children’s Hospice in November and December.
Stewart and dance partner Leigh Evans triumphed in the event last year as they performed their Jive in front of more than 450 people at the Royal National Hotel, in Russell Square, central London.
This year he is a judge and says it’s time for others to follow in his fast and fanciful footsteps.
He said: “I had such an amazing time last year. I still remember all the excitement backstage among all the dancers – it was electric. Everyone was supporting each other; it was just fantastic.
You may also want to watch:
“I had no idea we would win the event and we were elated to come away with the first prize. Now I’m acting as one of the judges I’ll know what the dancers will have gone through. Don’t worry though, I promise to be nice to everyone.”
The competition offers amateur dancers of all abilities the chance to learn two new Latin and Ballroom dances over six weeks of free lessons.
- 1 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 2 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 3 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Sir David Amess remembered as 'loved husband, father, MP and St Bon's boy'
- 7 Gallions Reach chef to be judged by Michel Roux Jr as finalist for prestigious title
- 8 Candle causes Stratford flat fire which saw two people in hospital
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 241-home development at Royal Albert Wharf marks 12-storey milestone
Couples will then take to the floor to perform in the final dance off in the Britannia Hotel, in Canary Wharf, on either November 28 or December 13.
Event organiser Ben Alonso said: “We knew we had to bring the event back after it was such a huge success last year and now we are looking for 100 people to sign up.”
Entry costs �50 with a minimum sponsorship of �300 plus the sale of six �10 tickets to friends and family.
You can sign up for Take To The Floor until October. Call Ben on 020 7540 0230 or email him at BenA@richardhouse.org.uk for an information pack.