Beckton hospice calls for dancers
Amateur dancers are being urged to sign up for a competition that will give them the ‘buzz’ of performing live.
Stewart Birnie from south London, wants people to put their names down for Take To The Floor with Richard House Children’s Hospice in November and December.
Stewart and dance partner Leigh Evans triumphed in the event last year as they performed their Jive in front of more than 450 people at the Royal National Hotel, in Russell Square, central London.
This year he is a judge and says it’s time for others to follow in his fast and fanciful footsteps.
He said: “I had such an amazing time last year. I still remember all the excitement backstage among all the dancers – it was electric. Everyone was supporting each other; it was just fantastic.
You may also want to watch:
“I had no idea we would win the event and we were elated to come away with the first prize. Now I’m acting as one of the judges I’ll know what the dancers will have gone through. Don’t worry though, I promise to be nice to everyone.”
The competition offers amateur dancers of all abilities the chance to learn two new Latin and Ballroom dances over six weeks of free lessons.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 3 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 4 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 7 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 8 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 9 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 10 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
Couples will then take to the floor to perform in the final dance off in the Britannia Hotel, in Canary Wharf, on either November 28 or December 13.
Event organiser Ben Alonso said: “We knew we had to bring the event back after it was such a huge success last year and now we are looking for 100 people to sign up.”
Entry costs �50 with a minimum sponsorship of �300 plus the sale of six �10 tickets to friends and family.
You can sign up for Take To The Floor until October. Call Ben on 020 7540 0230 or email him at BenA@richardhouse.org.uk for an information pack.