Beckton community centre reopening petition backed by 200 residents
- Credit: Vickie Flores
More than 200 people have signed a petition calling for the re-opening of a “well-used” Beckton community centre.
Although half of the Winsor Park Community Centre, in Warwall, remains open as a local training centre, the neighbouring building was closed 18 months ago by owners East Thames Group.
Formerly home to a range of groups for people of all ages, community leader Syed Ahmed, 42, launched a campaign to reopen it to full capacity in January together with the backing of a range of groups who insist they will finance themselves.
After collecting 207 signatures, he handed the 12-page petition to East Thames, West Ham Lane, Stratford, on Friday along with 30 supporters and was “delighted” with the response from residents.
“The support has been fantastic and shows there’s a real want in the community for this centre to be reopened,” he told the Recorder.
You may also want to watch:
“At a recent planning meeting, plans were discussed to demolish the centre altogether and build new flats so its important something is done quickly.
“We would like to request East Thames Housing to renegotiate as soon as possible so we can get our building back.”
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 6 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
A spokewoman for East Thames confirmed the signatures had been received and said the group “will review it as part of our planning for the future of 18 Warwall.”
She added: “In the meantime we continue to support Winsor Park residents by offering an employment and training service, nursery and flexible space for local groups to hire at the community centre just next door.”