Beckton community centre reopening petition backed by 200 residents
- Credit: Vickie Flores
More than 200 people have signed a petition calling for the re-opening of a “well-used” Beckton community centre.
Although half of the Winsor Park Community Centre, in Warwall, remains open as a local training centre, the neighbouring building was closed 18 months ago by owners East Thames Group.
Formerly home to a range of groups for people of all ages, community leader Syed Ahmed, 42, launched a campaign to reopen it to full capacity in January together with the backing of a range of groups who insist they will finance themselves.
After collecting 207 signatures, he handed the 12-page petition to East Thames, West Ham Lane, Stratford, on Friday along with 30 supporters and was “delighted” with the response from residents.
“The support has been fantastic and shows there’s a real want in the community for this centre to be reopened,” he told the Recorder.
“At a recent planning meeting, plans were discussed to demolish the centre altogether and build new flats so its important something is done quickly.
“We would like to request East Thames Housing to renegotiate as soon as possible so we can get our building back.”
- 1 Newham refuse workers vote to strike over pay dispute
- 2 West Ham United 'didn't have any luck' at Forest says Moyes
- 3 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 4 Hard-working Leyton Orient 'nowhere near best' in Mansfield win says Wellens
- 5 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 6 West Ham United fall to Nottingham Forest
- 7 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 8 'There is a cover-up going on somewhere', says flat death OAP's daughter
- 9 London among areas where drought is declared
- 10 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
A spokewoman for East Thames confirmed the signatures had been received and said the group “will review it as part of our planning for the future of 18 Warwall.”
She added: “In the meantime we continue to support Winsor Park residents by offering an employment and training service, nursery and flexible space for local groups to hire at the community centre just next door.”